If you’ve ever wondered where the idea of our Supreme Court system came from, here it is. In the Bible. Deuteronomy (and Exodus - same story) chapter 1, to be specific. Notice it was established by God, an idea given to Moses by his father-in-law (Exodus 18), and God made it work. If we incorporate our action and procedures God’s way, they will be effective and establish consistency. God is a God of order, structure, and peace. Notice the original reason this came about, too many people, too much bickering. Sound familiar?
9 Moses continued, “At that time I told you, ‘You are too great a burden for me to carry all by myself. 10 The Lord your God has increased your population, making you as numerous as the stars! 11 And may the Lord, the God of your ancestors, multiply you a thousand times more and bless you as He promised! 12 But you are such a heavy load to carry! How can I deal with all your problems and bickering? 13 Choose some well-respected men from each tribe who are known for their wisdom and understanding, and I will appoint them as your leaders.’14 “Then you responded, ‘Your plan is a good one.’ 15 So I took the wise and respected men you had selected from your tribes and appointed them to serve as judges and officials over you. Some were responsible for a thousand people, some for a hundred, some for fifty, and some for ten.16 “At that time I instructed the judges, ‘You must hear the cases of your fellow Israelites and the foreigners living among you. Be perfectly fair in your decisions 17 and impartial in your judgments. Hear the cases of those who are poor as well as those who are rich. Don’t be afraid of anyone’s anger, for the decision you make is God’s decision. Bring me any cases that are too difficult for you, and I will handle them.’18 “At that time I gave you instructions about everything you were to do.
Deuteronomy 1:9-18
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Knowing It’s Not Permanent….
One of the greatest aspects of being a believer in Jesus is knowing when (not if) we mess up, it’s not permanent. Peter is the perfect exam...
-
With the world striving for comfort, peace, and stability, our behavior plays a large role determining if we receive it or not. When we thi...
-
Here’s one fact about God that makes a huge difference in the life of a believer: God knows us better than we know ourselves... and still l...
-
To live a disciplined life one must humble oneself in order to submit to this lifestyle. In order to learn one must set aside his pride, wh...
No comments:
Post a Comment